Building Warrant of Fitness (BWOF)
A building owner needs to renew a building’s warrant of fitness (BWoF) every 12 months, signing, issuing and publicly displaying it to prove the building’s life-safety systems (called specified systems) have been maintained and inspected. If a BWoF is not displayed where required, or is false or misleading, or is not displayed in a manner in accordance with section 108 of the Building Act, it is the owner who is liable for a fine of up to $20,000.
Enell Inspections will take relieve the property owner of the tasks of dealing with all the contractors required to maintain the building. By acting as an agent, and coordinating with the various subcontractors charged with maintaining and repairing the various systems Enell can bring the years of experience in building management and maintenance and to ensure that the BWoF is always current and compliance is met.
When you Need a Building Warrant of Fitness
You are required to have a Building Warrant of Fitness (BWOF) if your building contains any of the following specified systems:
- Automatic systems for fire suppression (for example sprinkler system)
- Automatic or manual emergency warning systems for fire or other dangers (other than a warning system for fire that is entirely within a household unit and serves only that unit)
- Electromagnetic or automatic doors or windows (for example ones that close on fire alarm activation)
- Emergency lighting systems
- Escape routes pressurisation systems
- Riser main for fire service use
- Any automatic back flow preventers connected to a potable water supply
- Lifts, escalators, travelators or other systems for moving people or goods within buildings
- Mechanical ventilation or air conditioning systems
- Building maintenance units providing access to exterior and interior walls of buildings
- Laboratory fume cupboards
- Audio loops or other assistive listening systems
- Smoke control systems
- Means of escape from fire
- Emergency power systems for, or signs relating to, a system or feature specified in any of clauses above
- Cable Car (including to a private dwelling).
Enell have a gained a very good reputation and work closely with local councils. With very large fines for non-compliance as well as repercussions for serious offences it is very important to use a reputable company with a proven history of successful building and BWoF management behind them.
For more information or to set up an appointment please contact us.